Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bounders of The Shire Forum Index -> Shire Moot!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perlina Greystone

re: What do goblins say?

Hello, Moot!

I'm writing a theatrical, and part of it features goblins, themselves, doing goblin things. I wonder if anyone has heard goblins talk or yell? What do they say? Can you understand them? Please post any goblin-speech here.

Thank you very much.

~Perlina Greystone

If you listen to the goblins in goblin town  there are some funny things, like " doggie doggie doggie... " "mreow"  "oh yoh yoh yoh..."
and so on, but, goblins speak mostly in a broken common,   the structure is  'angry 5 year old'   
Aeeeiii!  I eat this, because it is food..   I dig because that what I do.   

back in the original  Neverwinter Nights game,  there were roleplay servers set up by players, on one server  I roleplayed a goblin. ( and I have a couple hobbit goblins  in lotro as well ) 

senence structure,  in my mind was them translating  the goblin-speak to common,  
"mine is yes, okay, you know yes?"    ( this is mine ) 
"is good, yes!"   ( I agree ) 
Broken common,  works great for the common goblin.  
Tolkien's goblins liked song, liked rhyme.  That works well too.   Boasts bragging, and cowardice at the same time. 
Goblin leaders ( goblin king etc ) will be articulate, commanding, and  with dark humour.  occasionally, but rarely will they break into  broken common. 
Song and rhyme sill a thing though. 

Goblin commoners follow orders.  In D&D terms they'd be neutral evil, going along with the crowd doing whatever act of evil the leader says to do. 
Goblin commoner on their own might be chaotic neutral.  They do not have that structure of the demanding 'boss'.   They act as they feel, and they have freedom to act on it which will lead them to doing something chaotic. ( Help the old gammer across the road, then  run back across the road to steal the pie from the window sill ) 
Because of their conditioning, goblins will kill if cornered,  or commanded to do so,  (if ) they have the greater number or even equal numbers. 
For example a lone hobbit, and 3 goblins the goblins will willingly kill the hobbit. 
2 hobbits, and 2 gobins,  will have a fight, if tides favour the hobbits they will flee. 
3 hobbits,  and a goblin, will have the goblin  begging for mercy, forgiveness,  snivelling hiding etc ( all acts of fear and cowardice, even if the hobbits seemingly are acting kind to the goblin ) 
A goblin a goblin leader, and a hobbit...   You'll see the goblin commoner only ready to act, if the leader also is willing to fight.  If the leader is  fleeing and shouts " kill the hobbit"   the commoner goblin will  panic,  side step  cower,  and when the leader is gone,  will turn to flee.  ( and later lie to the leader that the hobbit was killed, or got away etc ) 

Conversation with a hobbit spying 'someone' in his garden;
Gibbo Boggons.  " hullo?  My aren't you filthy... what are you doing in my garden!"
Leshnak the despised; "  yes?  is okay yes,  I feeds on chickens, yes okay?"
Gibbo, " Not my chickens you wont!"    Gibbo picks up a rake.
Leshnak, seeing the rake, and suddenly realizing what he said; "Aeeeeiii!   No..  I FEEDs em with things yes, worms bugs yes?"  
Gibbo,  " oh.. verywell.. but you ought not to go feedin folkses chickens all willy-nilly,  its odd behaviour..  say,  come out of the shadows, who are you?"
Leshnak realizing he is caught, " No no..   time for Leshnak to go!"
Gibbo; " Dear oh dear... I say, you are a goblin aren't you?"
Leshnak runs screaming; " Aeeeii!"

Later,  leshnak  tells the tale to his fellows;
Leshnak the despise,  went lookin for pies, far into hobbit lands,
There he spies,  the chicken cage, owned by the hobbit-man...
Slay the rooster, slay the hens,  take them all fromt he pens..
When hobbit-man's cower-begins, then Leshnak chases, with glee he grins...

((  full of lies, boasts and cowardice  :) ))

Other folks may have a different take on goblins.   This is mine though :)

Perlina Greystone

Hoppa_Joel wrote:

Conversation with a hobbit spying 'someone' in his garden;
Gibbo Boggons.  " hullo?  My aren't you filthy... what are you doing in my garden!"
Leshnak the despised; "  yes?  is okay yes,  I feeds on chickens, yes okay?"
Gibbo, " Not my chickens you wont!"    Gibbo picks up a rake.
Leshnak, seeing the rake, and suddenly realizing what he said; "Aeeeeiii!   No..  I FEEDs em with things yes, worms bugs yes?"  
Gibbo,  " oh.. verywell.. but you ought not to go feedin folkses chickens all willy-nilly,  its odd behaviour..  say,  come out of the shadows, who are you?"
Leshnak realizing he is caught, " No no..   time for Leshnak to go!"
Gibbo; " Dear oh dear... I say, you are a goblin aren't you?"
Leshnak runs screaming; " Aeeeii!"

Later,  leshnak  tells the tale to his fellows;
Leshnak the despise,  went lookin for pies, far into hobbit lands,
There he spies,  the chicken cage, owned by the hobbit-man...
Slay the rooster, slay the hens,  take them all fromt he pens..
When hobbit-man's cower-begins, then Leshnak chases, with glee he grins...

((  full of lies, boasts and cowardice  :) ))

Other folks may have a different take on goblins.   This is mine though :)

Thank you so much, Hoppa, this is exactly what I was looking for! Perfect!

Hehe welcome :)

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bounders of The Shire Forum Index -> Shire Moot! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum