Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bounders of The Shire Forum Index -> Shire Moot!
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Perlina Greystone

re: [THEATRICAL] The Battle of Greenfields

Hello, Bounders and Bounder-friends!

Well, like I explained at Inspections this morning, I've written a new play, my most ambitious ever! It's called The Battle of Greenfields, and it's about the Battle of Greenfields. Well, not just that. Actually, the battle only takes up one scene, Scene 4 that is. The other scenes (Scene 1, Scene 2, Scene 3, and Scene 5) are about other things, namely Miss Diamond Chubb of Long Cleeve, and her farm animals. Of course Bandobras Took the Bullroarer is in it, too!

So after some discussion we've decided to try Thursday eves at 9:30 Shire time (EST) for rehearsals, aiming for the actual performance in September or October, after Weatherstock and the Month of the Chicken. Even though there are a dozen speaking roles (in addition to goblins and hobbits for the battle), I'm hoping there will be enough actors, many in the Shire and Bree-land have a secret (or not so secret) yearning to see themselves in front of the footlights. If we can't find enough actors through the Moot, maybe my connections in Bree-land will help, the crowd that goes to Ales and Tales, you know.

If you are interested, please come on this Thursday, or send word. Here's a list of the roles:

At Long Cleeve:

Donkey, smart and decisive, a leader of sorts to the animals

Sheep 1, self-absorbed, as sheep are

Sheep 2, likewise

Pig, warm and motherly

Duckling- a duck that has imprinted on Pig

Rabbit- a wild rabbit from the Greenfields that sometimes visits the Chubb farm

Chickens

Diamond Chubb, oat farmer

Horace Bracegirdle, barley farmer, somewhat puffed up in temperament

Tuckborough:

Ferumbras Took, son of Thain Isumbras

Bandobras Took, his brother, the tallest hobbit ever

Back at Long Cleeve:

A Ranger

For the battle scene:

Golfimbul the Goblin Chief

Other goblins

Other hobbits

Well, that's about all for now. Post if you have any questions!

~Perlina Greystone

Pub co-proprietor and playwright

((P.S. I'd like to get as many participants as possible, before we resort to multiboxing. Hopefully it won't come to that!))

Last edited by Perlina Greystone on Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:01 pm; edited 3 times in total

Oh, Post script, I need to submit a letter to Miss Wellie of the Landy Lately, actually it's more of a personal classified ad. Please let me know the fee for this.

To Mister Skoch, the buggan or boogan,

Hello, you don't know me, but even a Shire stay-at-home like myself has heard somewhat of you. (Of course, I don't stay home LITERALLY all the time, I go often to my pub, the Oak n' Barrel in Addernotch neighborhood. I'm co-proprietor there. It's the favourite pub of the Addernotch station of the Bounders, you know. But never mind that for now.)

I'm writing to you because I've written a play, based on a notebook I found in the Great Smial at Tuckborough. It's about Bandobras Took, him that we call "Bullroarer", and the great battle at Greenfields, away up in the Northfarthing, many long years ago. I don't know if you have heard of it-- I suppose you may not have, if you come from farther away than Bree, or Staddle, which I have heard that you do. But let me assure you, it's a momentous fact of our history in the Shire, which every lass and lad learns about from the time they have the sense to listen.

Well all of this is just to ask if you might be interested in a collaboration with me on this theatrical. I'm having a difficult time understanding how Golfimbul, the goblin chief, and his tribe, would attack, and how the hobbit archers and club-wielders and such would fight them back. I've written Scenes 1-3 of the play, and begun Scene 5, but Scene 4, the actual Battle of Greenfields, is sticking. Would you be interested in staging such a battle? I can promise you some few hobbits, some to dress up as goblins, and some to be the resisters. Once word gets out, you might get quite a few volunteers, too. I can assure you, in the past we theatrical types never have had a problem gathering actors-- it seems that many in the Shire and Bree-land have a secret (or not so secret) yearning to see themselves in front of the footlights.

We will be starting rehearsals this Thursday at 9:30 Shire time (server time), at the pub in Addernotch, but the play itself won't be performed until September or October, after Weatherstock and the Month of the Chicken. So we have plenty of time!

If you are not interested, please let me know so I can find another collaborator. If you want more information before you make up your mind, I would be happy to tell you more!

Yours sincerely,
Perlina Greystone
Pub co-proprietor and playwright

I wonder if he knows how to read?

Yay!  I'm so glad to see another Play by Perlina!  I'd be glad to help in any way I can!

*hugs*

Genny

Hoppa_Joel

If costume help is needed,  between mine and Daffi's collections  I am sure we can find most  outfits needed.

I dinna think  I will have time for acting though  :/ 

Perlina Greystone

Gennyrose wrote:

I'd be glad to help in any way I can!

*hugs*

Genny

Yay, Genny! I hope to see you on Thusday! *hugs*

I'm so sorry about your schedule, Hoppa, I had hoped that the Warders would play all the animals. Oh, well. *sighs* But we might take you up on that costume offer. The actors will need masks, and some kind of outfit for each animal that goes with the mask, with proper colours-- say brown or grey for the donkey (I forget what colour the mask is), white for the sheep, pink for the pig, and so on.

This is wonderful news, Miss Perlina.  Wonderful news, indeed!

I will definitely come to the meeting on Thursday.  I am not sure if I am well-suited for any of the roles in the play to be cast, but if you feel otherwise or need someone to stand in or understudy, I would be very glad to do so.  Maybe I can be on the 'special effects' team like what Miss Byrcha did for the Green Ladies play if that is a need.

I look foward to the wonder and amazement that your theatricals always provide,

Kaleigh

The Life and Times of Kaleigh Starshine

Currently running The Spirit Gauntlet, during which no fate is unimaginable
Perlina Greystone

Oh, Kaleigh, I'm glad you'll be there, you've been a stalwart supporter of the arts since... forever! There is only one role for a Tall Folk in this play, a Ranger, and I think you'd be fine for that role-- I expect you have some suitable garb tucked away in a chest somewhere. Something like what that odd fellow, Halros, wears, since rumour has it that he is a Ranger.

If we don't have enough players, I know there are many hobbits in the Moot, and perhaps those who attend Ales and Tales, who would join in, perhaps Tomeoric and Dori and Bilwise, and Sageflower and Piperia, maybe that bunny-hugger Fincin.

Thank you to all who turned out for the reading yesterday, I appreciate it so much. I know we didn't get more partly because I didn't advertise anywhere save here, so I'll post elsewheres now, too.

For next week, I'll get the actions finished for Scene 1 and polish it up a bit. If anyone has any suggestions, especially for humour, please let me know. You all have a sense now of the animals and their personalities, so feel free to add anything. I'll make it so you can comment on the script, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LPqTZeuzvZOQNbvBwy0EFwTLFYg3_W7mJpcjSUn5LzA/edit?usp=sharing

Also, you all can have your pick of the roles. There are some big ones left, however. Scene 2 introduces Bandobras and his older brother, Isumbras, and I can picture Meadow as Isumbras. Then Scene 3 introduces Diamond's pompous suitor, Horace Bracegirdle, and that's a decent role, too.

I haven't heard from Mister Skoch, so we need a Golfimbul.... do you have a goblin mask we can borrow, Hoppa?

Cheers to all!

-Perlina

P.S. I've heard the most shocking rumours about Olalie... Well what happened was, her mum wanted to go back to her people in the Southfarthing, and Olalie went with her, as she's the only child and done with adventuring. So then the gaffer came to live with us, and I take care of him, mostly. Sometimes when I'm reading or writing he escapes, though, and goes out trying to "fix" things around people's homes, heavens! He's as bad as Gaffer Tobblin, I tell you! So if I ever have to leave abruptly, that's what it is.

Last edited by Perlina Greystone on Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

yep I do :)

Hoppa_Joel

I've added some goblin outfits, ( not full  as I will explain )   the two shirt pieces, in  ranger green should make the appearance of  goblin half armour over green skin.   there are various  boot styles,   each goblin should wear a different pair,  to make them look rag-tag.  there are some shoulder pieces,   for variety.

Now,  I wanted  badly,  to have [Ceremonial Thrill-seeker's Boots][Ceremonial Thrill-seeker's Leggings][Ceremonial Pathfinder's Shoulders][Ceremonial Shoulders of the Stone-student] pieces as well but the bloody skirmish camp  bound hem to me when I  got them.  most were around 200 marks and 15 medallions or so,    if your goblins have the marks and medallions  please  mix and match these  through our your army  they look great for goblins.   Thrill seeker legs in ranger green look like   goblin legs if you got  flared boots.

So yeah... I wasted marks and medallions for nothing as I already had some of these pieces... hehe  rats...

Anyways, these are in  Miss Telle's house,   please wardobe these items, and don't equip em  some are the only ones I got hehe.

I'll work on other things soonish :)

Perlina Greystone

Hoppa_Joel wrote:

I've added some goblin outfits, ( not full  as I will explain )   the two shirt pieces, in  ranger green should make the appearance of  goblin half armour over green skin.   there are various  boot styles,   each goblin should wear a different pair,  to make them look rag-tag.  there are some shoulder pieces,   for variety.

Thank you so, much, Hoppa-- this sounds amazing!

Hello, Thespians and Creative Supports!

I hope you all enjoyed your break from rehearsals-- we'll meet again this Thursday, at 9:30, for more rehearsals. I hope to introduce Scene 3, and maybe start thinking about Scene 4, which is the battle scene. Some things need to happen in that scene, I'll have a list for you on Thursday.

Here are the castings, so far, based on what folks have committed:

Donkey: Meadowlark

Sheep 1:

Sheep 2: Perlina

Pig: Wrenlhin

Duckling: Piperia

Rabbit: Dori

Chickens

Diamond Chubb: Gennyrose

Horace Bracegirdle:

Tuckborough:

Ferumbras Took:

Bandobras Took:

Back at Long Cleeve:

A Ranger: Kaleigh Starshine

For the battle scene:

Golfimbul the Goblin Chief: Skoch

Other goblins: friends of Skoch, Shelmo, etc.

Other hobbits

~Perlina

Last edited by Perlina Greystone on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Theatrical practice tonight! This means you, Meadowlark, hehe. I'd like to confirm as many of the castings as possible, and also go through Scenes 1-3 with regard to the stagings. I'm thinking of actually having us perform in Greenfields, up by Brockenborings, but I'm not sure whether we can find a place that's relatively free of the nefarious and insidious /say bug.

I dont think any place is free of the bug,  the cast could wander throught the crowd of  viewers before the show or scene  that would  ensure they coudl be heard.  also there is always the emote which can always be heard  /e says, " Hullo"   woudl still look like  Hoppa says "Hullo"  but coudl be seen

this coudl also be used to emote your part,    /roar aka the Bullroarer, says, " ROOOOOARR"

Perlina Greystone

Well, Skoch has confirmed that he'd like to play Golfimbul, and he even has an idea of some goblin chatter, and how the whole sorry episode came about. He'll join us in Brockenborings this Thursday, 28 July. We're getting the casting done, bit by bit!

Bilwise has agreed to play the brother, Ferumbras, and Palafoxia will be Sheep 1 (Betsy). See you all tomorrow evening in Brockenborings!

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum